Damage to a tooth can be a distressing experience. Some patients may not even know what to do if they chip a tooth. Seaside Family and Cosmetic Dentistry offers treatment for damaged teeth, including a chipped tooth in Hampstead, NC. You should address a chipped tooth as soon as possible with an experienced dentist that offers restorative dentistry.
When to Seek Dental Care for a Chipped Tooth
You may be unsure if you need dental care for your chipped tooth. Some chips may seem minor, while others are obviously serious. You will need to schedule an appointment with your dentist at Seaside Family and Cosmetic Dentistry:
- Suffering from Pain or Discomfort: If you experience any pain or discomfort after you chip a tooth, you need to consult with a dentist. If the tooth experiences sensitivity to hot or cold substances and pain while chewing, this can indicate a serious problem.
- Visible Damage: If the chip in your tooth is very noticeable, then you should see a dentist. A dentist will examine the tooth to see the extent of the damage and recommend suitable treatment.
- Suffer From a Severely Chipped Tooth: A tooth that has serious damage is more prone to further damage. If left untreated, it can lead to an infection inside the root canal of the tooth, additional fractures, tooth loss, and more.
Treatment for a Chipped Tooth in Hampstead, NC
The dental team at Seaside Family and Cosmetic Dentistry offers several treatment options for chipped teeth. Depending on the extent of your damage, your dentist will recommend one of the following treatments:
Dental bonding is a common treatment option for minor chips. Your dentist will apply a tooth-colored resin material to the chipped area and sculpt it to match the tooth’s natural shape. Teeth bonding is relatively quick and can restore both function and aesthetics. To learn more about the benefits of dental bonding, see Teeth Bonding.
A tooth veneer is a thin, custom-made shell that covers the front surface of teeth. Your dentist will suggest it for more extensive chips or cosmetic concerns. Porcelain veneers are durable, stain-resistant, and provide a natural appearance. To learn more about the porcelain veneer process, see Porcelain Veneers.
If a chipped tooth significantly affects the tooth’s structure, your dentist may suggest a dental crown. A tooth crown is like a cap that covers the entire tooth. This will protect it from further damage and restore its shape, strength, and function. To learn more about the benefits of a dental crown, see Dental Crown.
In some cases, a chipped tooth may be so severe that the dentist may need to extract the tooth. Your dentist will suggest a dental implant to replace the now-missing tooth. A dental implant is an artificial tooth root that supports a replacement tooth, providing a long-term solution for tooth loss. To learn more about why dental implants are the number one solution for replacing missing teeth, see Dental Implants.
There are Several Ways you Can Prevent a Chipped Tooth
- Maintain good oral hygiene practices
- Avoid chewing on hard objects
- Wear protective gear such a custom mouthguard
- Attend your regular dental visits to keep your teeth healthy
Unfortunately, tooth damage can happen to anyone. It is a good idea to take the necessary measures to protect your teeth, but there is always a chance an accident will happen. Our dentists offer several treatment options for a chipped tooth in Hampstead, NC in the event this happens to you. You can reach our office at 910-335-4392 to schedule an appointment. You can also request an appointment online by filling out the form.